One of the most beautiful and largest Philippine cities is Davao. It is located south of the Philippine archipelago in the island of Mindanao â€“ the 2nd largest Philippine island. This progressive city is notably famous for Mount Apo, the Philippine Eagle and for its durian fruits and durian related products such as candies and others.
One of the most beautiful and largest Philippine cities is Davao. It is located south of the Philippine archipelago in the island of Mindanao – the 2nd largest Philippine island. This progressive city is notably famous for Mount Apo, the Philippine Eagle and for its durian fruits and durian related products such as candies and others.
Here are some of the most interesting facts about the City of Davao.
1. Davao City is the largest city in Mindanao and is regarded as the “de facto” capital of the island.
2. Davao City is the largest city outside of Metro Manila and the 4th largest in the Philippines in terms of population. Only the cities of Quezon, Manila and Caloocan are larger.
3. In Spanish it is “Ciudad de Davao”, in Filipino it’s “Lungsod ng Dabaw” and in Cebuano, it is “Dakbayan sa Dabaw”.
4. This highly urbanized and independent city is the regional center of Davao region and is located 946 km southeast of Manila – the Philippine capital city.
5. With a population of over 1.4 million, the city is the 87th fastest growing city in the world and declared as one of the “10 Asian Cities of the Future”.
6. In terms of land area, the city is largest in the entire Philippine archipelago with an area of 293.78 km2 while Metro Davao has a total area of 4,041.39 km2.
7. The population density of Davao City is 600/km2 and the residents of the city are called Davaoeño.
8. It is home to the highest peak in the Philippines – Mount Apo with an elevation of 2,954 m. it is the most favorite destination of hikers and mountain climbers in the country.
9. With numerous beaches and resorts, the city of Davao is tagged as the “Durian and Mangosteen” because these fruit trees are widely cultivated and sold in the area.
10. Another big industry in the city is sashimi and is the reason why Davao City is also known as “the Sashimi Capital of the Philippines”.
11. The local term for “sashimi” is “kinilaw” and is abundantly and commonly serve in many restaurants in the city. It is also commonly served and eaten in every home in the city.
12. The motto of the city which is known by numerous nicknames is “Love, Peace and Progress” “From Island to Highlands”.
13. It was incorporated as a town in 1848 and incorporated as a city on March 16, 1936.
14. The first name given to Davao City is Nueva Vergara by Don Jose Cruz de Uyanguren.
15. Davao City is part of Region IX and politically speaking, it is divided into 3 districts with 182 barangays.
16. One of the most popular attractions of the city is “Kadayawan Festival” – one of the most famous festivals in the Philippines. It is tagged as the “King of Festivals”.
17. It is celebrated annually to give thanks to their bounty harvest of flowers, fruits and other produce as well as the wealth of the city’s cultures.
18. The two most popular museums in Davao City are Davao Museum and Mindanao Folk Arts Museum.
19. There are numerous shopping malls in the city and it has its own 911 Emergency Response team.
20. There are several institutions of higher learning in the city with the Ateneo De Davao University, University of Mindanao, Immaculate Conception University, UP-Mindanao among the most popular.
21. Davao City is accessible by air, by land and by water. Its seaport is among the busiest in the country and its international airport is one of the best in Asia.
22. The most commonly spoken languages in the city include Davaoeño, Boholano, Tagalog, English, Chabacano/Spanish, Ilongo, Ilocano, Chinese, Japanese, Bagobo, Mansakan and Kapampangan.
23. With an efficient and effective medical services and programs, Davaoeños have one of the highest life expectancy in the Philippines at 70.
24. Among the many and most popular nicknames of Davao City include Crown Jewel of Mindanao, City of the Beautiful Waling-Waling, Eco-Adventure Capital of the Philippines, Davao EcoCity, Home of the Philippine Eagle and Financial Center of Mindanao.
25. Additional nicknames of Davao are Fruit Basket of the Philippines, The City of Royalties, The Royal City of The Philippines, City of Peace and Prosperity Philippines' Asian City of the Future, City of the Land of Promise, Philippines’ Most Livable City, Philippines' Most Clean City and Philippines’ Little Japan.
Mount Apo: The Highest Peak in the Philippines