The Philippines is geographically divided into 3 major divisions â€“ Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Luzon is the largest Philippine island followed by Mindanao. Mindanao is the only part of the Philippines where there is significantly noticeable population of Muslims particularly in the Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao. Here are some interesting facts about Mindanao â€“ the Land of Promise.The Philippines is geographically divided into 3 major divisions â€“ Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Luzon is the largest Philippine island followed by Mindanao. Mindanao is the only part of the Philippines where there is significantly noticeable population of Muslims particularly in the Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao. Here are some interesting facts about Mindanao â€“ the Land of Promise.
The Philippines is geographically divided into 3 major divisions – Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Luzon is the largest Philippine island followed by Mindanao. Mindanao is the only part of the Philippines where there is significantly noticeable population of Muslims particularly in the Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao. Here are some interesting facts about Mindanao – the Land of Promise.
1. With an area of 97,530 km2, Mindanao is the 2nd largest Philippine island and the world’s 19th largest island.
2. The colorful Vintas are the traditional boats of the Badjaus and Moros of Sulu Archipelago particularly in Zamboanga City. These water vessels with very colorful sails are used for inter-island transportation.
3. The largest city in Mindanao is Davao City and the highest peak in the Philippines is Mount Apo.
4. Crime rate is much higher in Mindanao than in Luzon and in the Visayas. Fighting between government troops and Muslim rebels, separatists and terrorists continue up to now.
5. The collective group of indigenous tribes in Mindanao called Lumad is composed of Kamayo, Manobo, Tasaday and T’boli.
Merloquet Falls in Zamboanga City
6. Mindanao is the 8th most populous island in the world. It is larger in size than 125 countries in the world.
7. Four seas surround the island of Mindanao – Mindanao Sea in the North, Philippine Sea in the east, Celebes Sea in the south and Sulu Sea in the west.
8. There are two sultanates in Mindanao – Sultanate of Sulu and Sultanate of Maguindanao.
9. Philippine Deep, which is also known as Mindanao Deep, is a trench located a few miles offshore the island of Mindanao.
10. It is 10,800 meters deep and is one of the greatest depths known to exist on the surface of the Earth.
11. Mount Ragang and Mount Kitanglad, both in Mindanao, are two of the highest mountains in the Philippines.
12. The tallest Philippine waterfall is Limunsudan Falls in Iligan City with a height of 240 meters. Another popular waterfall in Mindanao is Maria Cristina Falls in the province of Lanao Del Sur.
13. Lake Lanao, a large and spectacular lake in Mindanao, is one of the 15 ancient lakes in the world. It is the largest in Mindanao and the second in the archipelago.
14. Among the most notable rivers of Mindanao are Rio Grande De Mindanao – second largest river in the Philippines, Agusan River, Agus River, Mindanao River and others.
15. Mindanao is comprised of 26 provinces. These provinces are grouped into 6 regions namely Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao Region, SOCCSARKGEN, Caraga and ARMM.
16. The provinces of ARMM are Basilan excluding Isabela City, Lanao Del Sur, Maguindanao excluding Cotabato City, Sulu and Tawi-tawi.
17. Caraga or Region XIII is composed of Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur and the Island Province of Dinagat. Butuan City is its regional center.
18. SOCCSKSARGEN or Region XII is composed of South Cotabatao, Cotabato, Cotabato City, Sultan Kudarat and Sarangani Province. Koronadal City is its regional center.
19. Although Cotabato City is part of Maguindanao in Region XIII, it is part of SOCCSKSARGEN or Region XII.
20. Region XI or Davao Region is composed of Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur and Davao Oriental. Its regional center is Davao City.
21. The provinces of Northern Mindanao or Region X are Bukidnon, Camiguin, Lanao del Norte, Misamis Occidental and Misamis Oriental. Its regional center is Cagayan De Oro City.
22. Region IX or Zamboanga Peninsula is consists of Zmaboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay and Isabela City which is part of Basilan.
23. Zamboanga City is the only highly urbanized and independent city of zamboanga peninsula. Its major tourist attraction is the splendid Fort Pilar.
24. One of the largest pineapple plantations in the world is the Del Monte Pineapple plantation in Bukidnon.
25. Laguindingan International Airport in Cagayan De Oro City is the first International Airport in Northern Mindanao.
26. Among the most famous tourist destinations in Mindanao include Mount Apo, Lake Sebu, Dakak Resorts, and many others.
27. Caraga Region is the newest region in the Philippines. Its regional center is Butuan City.
28. Siargao, the surfing capital of the Philippines, is located in Caraga Region. It is the haven of local and foreign surfers and the site of many national and an international competition.
29. Some of the most beautiful and unexploited beaches in the country can be found in in Mindanao such as the Pink Beach of Santa Cruz in Zamboanga, the Pebble Beach of Surigao del Norte, Alano White Beach in Basilan and many others
30. Beautiful mosques can also be found in Mindanao areas where Muslim population is dominant such as Marawi City, Cotabato City and others.
35 Interesting Facts About the Island of Luzon
22 Interesting Facts About the Visayas